I have decided to have a go at Project Run and Play’s February Challenge. The pattern found at Living with Punks looked quick and easy, just how I like patterns. My girls both have red and white skirts but not tops that matched so this was the perfect time to remedy the situation. These were to be for preschool wear and as such needed the shoulders covered so the only alteration I made was to add width to the shoulders.
I’m trying to use up fabric and trimmings from my stash, the white knit is almost the last of a roll, but I couldn’t find appropriate embellishments so decided to use a paint technique I’d seen on Pinterest using the eraser end of a pencil to make the dots. I used everyday poster paints. After the paint had dried I ironed it with a hot dry iron for 5 mins or you could put it in the dryer for 1/2 hour while still dry to set the paint (if you aren’t sure it will work test on a scrap piece of fabric first). My husband still has a shirt I painted with poster paints 4 years ago.
If I was to sew this again I’d make the neck line higher to make it more ‘Sun Safe’; reduce the width across the chest area of the shirt (it was a bit wide on my two) and then flare out to original width at the bottom; possibly add a high/low hemline.
Cost: nothing as this was leftover fabric and craft supplies
Time: approx 4 hrs to make two including drying time
Age: 8 yrs+ (with adult help)
Left over craft materials made for lots of fun. I divided the remaining craft materials (from a Cre8tiv Kidz Make Your Own Paper Puppets set) into two containers and provided blank paper and glue. Lacy (3 years 0 months) loves gluing and hates it when there is no more gluing to do in an activity so she particularly loved this activity – there was plenty to glue and even better no set place to stick it.
Cost: Free – It was leftovers – (the original Cre8tiv Kidz. Make your own paper puppets cost approx. $5 from Kmart.)
Ages: 2+ years
Taught: Creativity, colours, shapes, and we also counted.
I saw this post and thought Lacy (2yrs) would love one of these homemade tin drums. I basically followed their tutorial but as it had no photos I’ve included photos of Lacy’s being made…
I used a Milo tin.
The fabric used was an offcut of recycled curtains – originally an Ikea print. Lacy (2yr) declared it “My favorite”.
The hot glue gun got a work out
Trimming to size.
More hot glue
My bowl was close enough to the right size to make the felt ‘skins’. (BTW the Sharpie came off the bowl with warm soapy water).
And even more hot glue
There had to be some sewing to make it fun…
My first round was too far apart so I did a second round I wanted a diamond pattern so I sewed a second round in between the first, only adding beads the first time.
Lacy couldn’t wait to play it! Now I need to drink more Milo so I can make one for Aniya.
So my girls love to do craft and I wanted nice easy craft ideas that I had the things for.
I found pictures on the net of a butterfly (I have girls) and other pictures. I searched colouring butterfly. We ripped up coloured construction paper that I bought for cheap from office works. Than glued onto the picture. So easy the kids loved!
Needed: paper, glue