I have decided to have a go at Project Run and Play’s February Challenge. The pattern found at Living with Punks looked quick and easy, just how I like patterns. My girls both have red and white skirts but not tops that matched so this was the perfect time to remedy the situation. These were to be for preschool wear and as such needed the shoulders covered so the only alteration I made was to add width to the shoulders.
I’m trying to use up fabric and trimmings from my stash, the white knit is almost the last of a roll, but I couldn’t find appropriate embellishments so decided to use a paint technique I’d seen on Pinterest using the eraser end of a pencil to make the dots. I used everyday poster paints. After the paint had dried I ironed it with a hot dry iron for 5 mins or you could put it in the dryer for 1/2 hour while still dry to set the paint (if you aren’t sure it will work test on a scrap piece of fabric first). My husband still has a shirt I painted with poster paints 4 years ago.
If I was to sew this again I’d make the neck line higher to make it more ‘Sun Safe’; reduce the width across the chest area of the shirt (it was a bit wide on my two) and then flare out to original width at the bottom; possibly add a high/low hemline.
Cost: nothing as this was leftover fabric and craft supplies
Time: approx 4 hrs to make two including drying time
Age: 8 yrs+ (with adult help)
I like making birthday presents as I think it makes it a bit more personal to have taken time to think about and make a birthday present.
This was made for a school friend of Aaron’s 6th birthday.
It includes a
home made m&m biscuit mix (covered with the same fabric)
apron ( made using this pattern but I found it a bit small for this age http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_liberated/2009/01/childs-apron-pattern-and-other-free-tutorials.html)
Pretty bag (that can double as a library bag) to wrap it all in.
Cost: approx $20
Time: Approx 2 hrs
Wet cold days mean kids with far too much energy. My hat goes off to those of you who have families in apartments. I am not used to having to entertain my kids indoors all day. So anyway way you guessed it – it’s wet and cold and even the school kids have too much energy this afternoon. So what to do….
Indoor games that take lots of energy and that doesn’t end in fighting (I’m minding my 6yr old niece as well so have two 6 year olds and two 2 year olds.)
First up Alphabet movement Cards – Printed from here
The 6yr olds spelt out their names and we did the exercises for each letter of their names. (Got in some incidental reading without them realising!)
Then we did the whole alphabet.
Next was insect themed movement exercises from here. As the blog only had a photo of the one she made I then created some but as i don’t yet know how to up load it. If you request a copy in comments I’ll email it to you
The older two still had excess energy so onto Masking Tape Hopscotch …
Optional: Bean bag
Using the masking tape “draw” the hopscotch – I used the square tiles for some of my squares but it would be easy to make the whole thing out of tape. Then again with the tape numbers 1-9.
Play hopscotch – hope in numbers 1-3, jump with one foot in each of 4 & 5 hop in 6, jump with one foot in each of 7 & 8 and turn in 9.
Optional: throw the bean bag into square 1 and miss that square. hoping/jumping in the rest as per above, next time through throw the bean bag into square 2 and miss that square and so on. When you throw into 4 miss four by just hopping into 5 and so on.
Practised throwing, hopping, jumping, planning how to miss the appropriate square.
I saw this post and thought Lacy (2yrs) would love one of these homemade tin drums. I basically followed their tutorial but as it had no photos I’ve included photos of Lacy’s being made…
I used a Milo tin.
The fabric used was an offcut of recycled curtains – originally an Ikea print. Lacy (2yr) declared it “My favorite”.
The hot glue gun got a work out
Trimming to size.
More hot glue
My bowl was close enough to the right size to make the felt ‘skins’. (BTW the Sharpie came off the bowl with warm soapy water).
And even more hot glue
There had to be some sewing to make it fun…
My first round was too far apart so I did a second round I wanted a diamond pattern so I sewed a second round in between the first, only adding beads the first time.
Lacy couldn’t wait to play it! Now I need to drink more Milo so I can make one for Aniya.