Spotted Madamoiselle Tee

Spotted Madamoiselle Tee zillycreate.wordpress.com

I have decided to have a go at Project Run and Play’s February Challenge. The pattern found at Living with Punks looked quick and easy, just how I like patterns. My girls both have red and white skirts but not tops that matched so this was the perfect time to remedy the situation. These were to be for preschool wear and as such needed the shoulders covered so the only alteration I made was to add width to the shoulders.

Adding width to the shoulders Zillycreate.wordpress.com

I’m trying to use up fabric and trimmings from my stash, the white knit is almost the last of a roll, but I couldn’t find appropriate embellishments so decided to use a paint technique I’d seen on Pinterest using the eraser end of a pencil to make the dots. I used everyday poster paints. After the paint had dried I ironed it with a hot dry iron for 5 mins or you could put it in the dryer for 1/2 hour while still dry to set the paint (if you aren’t sure it will work test on a scrap piece of fabric first). My husband still has a shirt I painted with poster paints 4 years ago.

If I was to sew this again I’d make the neck line higher to make it more ‘Sun Safe’; reduce the width across the chest area of the shirt (it was a bit wide on my two) and then flare out to original width at the bottom; possibly add a high/low hemline.

Cost: nothing as this was leftover fabric and craft supplies

Time: approx 4 hrs to make two including drying time

Age: 8 yrs+ (with adult help)

DIY Birthday Present – Girls Baking Set

DIY Birthday Present - Girls Baking Set

With Jasmine
I like making birthday presents as I think it makes it a bit more personal to have taken time to think about and make a birthday present.
This was made for a school friend of Aaron’s 6th birthday.

It includes a
home made m&m biscuit mix (covered with the same fabric)
apron ( made using this pattern but I found it a bit small for this age http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_liberated/2009/01/childs-apron-pattern-and-other-free-tutorials.html)
mixing bowl
cookie sheet
spatula
Pretty bag (that can double as a library bag) to wrap it all in.

Cost: approx $20
Time: Approx 2 hrs

DIY TOYS – Drum

with Jasmine

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

I saw this post and thought Lacy (2yrs) would love one of these homemade tin drums. I basically followed their tutorial but as it had no photos I’ve included photos of Lacy’s being made…

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

I used a Milo tin.

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

The fabric used was an offcut of recycled curtains – originally an Ikea print. Lacy (2yr) declared it “My favorite”.

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

The hot glue gun got a work out

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

Trimming to size.

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

More hot glue

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

My bowl was close enough to the right size to make the felt ‘skins’. (BTW the Sharpie came off the bowl with warm soapy water).

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

And even more hot glue

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

There had to be some sewing to make it fun… My first round was too far apart so I did a second round I wanted a diamond pattern so I sewed a second round in between the first, only adding beads the first time.

DIY TOYS - Tin drum

Lacy couldn’t wait to play it! Now I need to drink more Milo so I can make one for Aniya.